Some Nigerians have been apprehended by the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) for allegedly running a prostitution ring.
They are Sharon Blessing Chibuike, 38, Promise Ben David, 27, Chinedu Emmanuel Ibekweo, 19, and Esther Montse, 29.
The quartet face crimes of Forced Detention with Intent Prostitution, Encouragement of Prostitution, Prostitution and Intentional Sexual Sex Detention.
A Police officer, Vasvi Özbey reported the facts in a sworn testimony in court on Wednesday.
The police acted on a complaint filed by “OA” at the Nicosia Judicial Branch on January 23.
Blessing Chibuike lives in Nicosia, capital of Cyprus, with OA whom they had brought from Nigeria to enroll as a student in Turkey.
The suspects withheld the passport of the 28-year-old, forcing her to have sex with men in exchange for cash.
- Pastor Arrested Over Wife Killing in Ekiti
- Ohanaeze Predicts Reduced Popularity for Simon Ekpa and Peter Obi Following Nnamdi Kanu’s Release
- Court Stops Ondo Gov. Akeredolu From Inaugurating LGAs, LCDAs Caretaker Committees
- Jubilation as Adamawa Governor Announces N10,000 Monthly Bonus for NYSC Members”
- Japa: Reps Raise Alarm as LUTH Shuts Down 5 Wards Due to Doctors’ Shortage
A search warrant was obtained from the Nicosia District Court, but no one could be identified at the address.
On January 24, the police obtained a court order to take in the suspects for prosecution.
Two notebooks found at the address now form part of the evidence. However, the suspects pleaded not guilty.
Judge Nil Elodie Çeliker ordered that they be remanded in police custody as investigation continues.